- St John’s and St Peter’s is the Parish Church of Ladywood.
- St. John’s was built 1852-1854 originating from a Mission to the area from St Martin’s in the Bullring. The Governors of the King Edward VI Schools had also agreed to allow a site on their property. Frederick Gough, 4th Baron Calthorpe laid the foundation stone on 28 September 1852, and the church was consecrated by Henry Pepys the Bishop of Worcester on 15 March 1854
- Designed by the well-known Victorian architect, S.S. Teulon, the church is in the Victorian Gothic style It is much more simple and gracious than many of the period apart from the idiosyncratic stone turrets and the nearly 100 stone heads that adorn the church inside and out.
- Within the church the most major alternation until the competition of the redevelopment in 2005was the addition of the transepts in 1881 by the architect, W.A Chatwyn (commemorated on the pulpit).
- The site for the new church was Ladywood Green, a 17th century Great Plague burial ground.
Redevelopment of the church
- St Peter’s, Spring Hill, built in 1901 was closed as an Anglican church in 2001 when it was combined with St John’s to make one new, larger parish.
- Redevelopment of St John’s began in 1994 and was finally completed in 2005.
- The architects were Rod Robinson Associates of Hereford.
- The Heritage Lottery Fund contributed almost half the total cost of almost £1million.
- Francis Morse 1854-1865
- Richard J. Mooyaart 1864-1868
- John Leech Porter 1868-1888
- A. R. Runnels-Moss 1888-1921
- J. L. Porter 1921-1927
- Canon Parslew 1927-1940
- Norman Darrall 1940-1951
- Norman Power 1952-1988
- Richard Tetlow 1989-2008
- Ian Harper 2010–present